Friday, August 27, 2010

Hmm, what to do?


Hey all!

So yesterday I left for highways 89 and 88 that Rick suggested, and it was by far the most beautiful ride I've had this entire trip. I summitted Luther and Carson passes, and went through the Sierra Nevada's snow capped mountains, green valleys, deep blue lakes among mountains, jagged mountains, and down from ~8500 ft to sea level. Though I was expecting all downhill from Carson Pass on, it was more of downhill separated by uphill sections, 2 of which (Carson Spur and an unnamed hill) were similar to climbing Luther, though a bit shorter. I modified my route from what Rick suggested to take 88 all the way to Jackson , and then highway 12 pretty much to Vallejo, where I would catch the ferry into San Francisco.



Anyways, details aside, highway 88 ended up being very busy and practically shoulderless, so once it got dark, I just set up for the night in some woods across the street from a gas station (convenient wake up!). I set off this morning, descending into Calavera County, where California's landscape here hit me- dry lands, hilly, but with trees. Instead of green grass, dry wheatgrass. So you get yellow hills with green trees. It's really something- I've never been in a landscape like this. I heard it was in the 100s today, which makes sense, since I've never stopped so many times for ice, icecream, and cold drinks.

Here's where the twist happens. I was hoping to get as close to Vallejo as possible, a 100+ mile ride that I was up for. However, my tire gave up on me:/ While in Nevada, I wore through my original tire, and had to put on my spare, which was an older, used tire. Yesterday I started noticing a strange wobble. Today I realized that the sidewall of the tire was shredding away. By the end of the day I got a flat in Valley Springs. I tried to fix it twice, but then my tire gave a final explosion, and I was done for. So I walked for about 2 miles, 6 to go to the nearest motel, when an old Keiser stopped in front of me, and Phil, the driver offered a ride to Lodi. He headed home and came back with his old pick up and drove me over into town. And that's where I am.

Now I have to decide what to do. I can try to find a bike shop and get a new tire (costly, wouldn't get a great tire, not worth it). I can take apart my bike here and ship it home from Lodi and then either 1) try to find public transit to San Fran, or 2) call the friend I'm staying with to pick me up (but this is the least climactic way of finishing the trip!).

So that's where I am! Lodi, less than 100 miles from the end. Bike finished, haha:/ O well, lesson learned- keep a NEW spare tire. One way or another, I'll be in San Francisco tomorrow:)

EDIT: There's a bike shop in town. Screw it, I'm buying a tire and finishing strong. San Fran or Bust!!!




-Miroslav

No comments:

Post a Comment