Friday, August 13, 2010

Almost 4 weeks in annnnddd...

This Sunday it'll be 4 weeks into the trip, and I'm starting to feel pretty worn out. I was reading someone else's across the US in 6 weeks blog (Crazy Guy on Bike Blog), and they wore out at 30 days as well (though they gave up due to back pain). Last night I left late in tired spirits and encountered the worst head wind I've ever experienced. I could only travel about 20 miles in 4 hours, the distance it took me to get from Green River to Little America. When I got there, I seriously contemplated stopping for the day, I was so wiped out. Sitting around eating a 50 cent ice cream cone, I got into a conversation with a guy named Patrick, traveling with his mom from Austin, TX to Seattle, where he was moving to. After chatting for a bit about my trip, he offered for me to crash on the floor of the hotel room with his mom and him. It was super tempting because it was cold (it gets into the 40s here at night) and I was tired, but I didn't want to do that. I ultimately decided the better thing to do would be to try to get to Kemerrer (this was around 7pm). Sooo, I headed out, and luckily the wind died down as I switched roads. Nonetheless, my legs could only carry me 27 miles more, and I gave up near Opal, and slept in my improvised sleeping place #4- highway underpass, lol. It was actually the best ISP so far. Little wind, hidden away, cozy (yes). This morning I biked over to Kemmerrer, another 15 miles away (the home of the first JC Penney!). I'm here now, and I've decided to take the day off, because I don't think my legs will carry me too far today.

Unlike the guy in the blog above, the only thing keeping me down is low energy and motivation, not nerve injuries. And, looking at his blog (he was going from San Fran to the east coast), I have just about 2 weeks left, maybe less. So THIS is the home stretch. 3ish days in Utah, 5ish days in Nevada(on highway 50, the loneliest road in the US), and 2ish days in California to San Francisco. So I need to build up on energy, get my phone working so I can chat it up with people, and be nice to my muscles so they're nice to me for the next 2 weeks. Here's to hamstrings, calves, lungs, and heart.

-Miroslav


1 comment:

  1. Hey, I can't figure out how to send you those pix I took of you in Wyoming. I was in the white pickup truck. Let me know the best way to send them to you. You are in this series on my facebook page.http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2051517&id=1332517157

    I am sending this through my sons blog account..thats why you see his pic...

    ReplyDelete