Thursday, July 22, 2010

Jackpot.

The peanut butter blueberry bagel this morning was delicious- I was starving after last night. I ate it with a packet of instant oatmeal mix (I was too lazy to cook it, so you just eat it and chase with water, try it sometime, it's like a dry cookie, lol). And guess where I was? IOWA!!!! But let me back up to after the library yesterday.

I get out, and my tire is flat. Yes, again. Soooo...I gruelingly started fixing it, to no avail. I patched that tire and reinstalled it THREE TIMES, and it finally worked (I didn't give the patch enough time to dry in my impacience). So I went to a Chinese restaurant and spoiled myself with some General Tsao's chicken. I was surprised to find Chinese people running it in rural Illinois, though this was a larger town of 6000 by rural standards. I really wonder about rural America. It's so conservative and patriotic- visibly so (I don't even have to talk to anyone). There are flags, flag shops, army stickers, religious quotes, etc. everywhere. Next door to the Chinese place, the owner of the building posted up a flier on the window quoting "a man famous for knowing historical facts and the bible" on his political views (I took a pic and will post it as soon as I get around to sending each photo individually from my phone). Basically, the flier was a 101 list on conservative values- obama sucks, liberals screwed Bush's amazing agenda over, homosexuals suck, we should stay in Iraq, and get this- "what happened to the good old America?". I think that sums up rural (IL at least)- it reminds me of a snapshot of 50s/60s america. The way the older men dress, the super neat everything, etc. At least that's my humble opinion.

ANYWAYS- i get out of the Chinese restaurant- and guess what- ANOTHER. FLAT. I gave up and walked a mile or two to the nearest bike shop, got new tubes, installed one on the street corner downtown, and went off to get to West Lake, IOWA. (NO FLATS SO FAR!!!:D :D). By the way, Misha, if you're reading this, rural America's girls (I say girls because they looked like they were 17) are desperate for new men in town. Walking to get those tubes, I was given a "hey sexy" smile by a girl talking on the phone, some girl stuck her head out the window waving at me screaming "heeeyyyyyyy"- and this was within an hour of walking. I wonder if they share the parents' values?

I had a GORGEOUS ride at sunset through the country, and I was super energized after Chinese and about 5 hours of rest (between library and the tubes debacle).

I got to Davenport, IA at dusk. Davenport reminds me of Detroit- a "ruined city" feel, but instead of having the auto industry, it has a farming equipment industry (at least from the industrial plants I drove by on their "lake front bike trail"- think Chicago's bike trail, but instead of the Lake you have a river, and instead of Lake Shore Drive on the other side, you have a fence and industrial buildings, lol). Davenport had some cool looking breweries and pubs though. One was a brewery with big vats, and two walls on the street corner open to the street, a band playing, and picnic tables outside with people drinking. It was pretty cool.

I had a somewhat sketchy final push ride in the dark, and I lost my favorite wool base layer because I took it off to put on my bright yellow rain jacket. Bye bye base layer. enjoy Iowa. Guess you won't see California:(

And finally- I got to the park. I wasn't sure if there was going to be a campground, but it ended up being a big park. I skipped the RV parking/campsite, and biked on and found a picnic shelter with no one around. and the best part? THERE WAS A DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND A BATHROOM AND OUTLETS ALL TO MYSELF!!! ON THE LAKE!!! I had an awesome night finishing my chinese food, chatting it up with my sis because I didn't have to worry about my phone battery, bathing, and washing clothes. There were no mosquitos either, so I slept like a king under the stars without the stupid bivvy sack. Woke up at 5 before anybody got there, and that's where this post started. Nothing like biking all day without a home to make you appreciate the small things.

Now I'm making my way to another park in Iowa, but it's taking much longer than I planned. Stupid rural roads that go from being paved to gravel. I'm currently in Muscatine, IA. It smells like bread and sour petroleum in this city. Google maps says "The name Muscatine is unusual in that it is not used by any other city in the United States." No kidding. I was thinking of naming my kid that when I move to Iowa. I don't like this place (or Iowa so far...). It makes me like the midwest less. On the other hand the most pleasant moment of the day today was stumbling upon an old settler cemetary with about 10 graves from 1810 to the 1850s. It was in a nook in the road near the woods, with beautiful trees, and hills across the road. I took a great rest there and tried to nap for a bit; bringing some life and appreciation to a place of the dead (I took a big swig of water for those long dead and forgotten on my way out).

I still have like 50 miles to go to get to the park, so I'm not sure if I'll make it. Maybe a plan B for the night is in store. I miss Chicago and friends and family!!!





1 comment:

  1. So you crossed the Mississipi river, a big step in your trip, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete