Wednesday, July 21, 2010

After a weird night, getting in the groove, recharging

So the theme for now is going to be that I'm getting into the groove of doing this trip. I ended up getting another mystery flat last night which stopped me right by a tiny section of woods near the road, so I just gave up there and decided to spend the night after scoping it out. It was a weird night, at first I think an opossum smelled me out and started hissing at me, so I yelled back and scared it away. Then at like 4am (coyotes?) were calling nearby, which kind of got me ready to get out of there asap. I don't like bivvys that much anymore, because they keep you in a vulnerable position and it's against your skin as opposed to a tent, which is more of a structure from the outside. But the bright side is I was ready to go by sunrise, and the ride through the countryside was gorgeous at sunrise. I stopped a few times and picked up some beef jerky, milk, twinkies along the way. Its 11am, and I think I'm more than halfway through my route for the day. I like this waking up at sunrise thing.

I've passed through some pretty small towns, you probably wouldn't even notice them if you were driving through (300-1000 people mostly). My favorites so far have been Peru, IL and Geneseo (where I am right now). They're cute and actually have a little bit of life flowing through them. Everyone has been super nice so far though. People have waved to me through the windows, and someone with bikes on their roof drove past me and honked hello (that gave me second wind). Another cool thing so far today has been the birds!! I'm not sure what type of bird this is, but as you drive by they intentionally fly with you singing for about half a minute or more! I'm not sure if they think I'm a bull that they're scaring away or what, but they're a nice change/addition to the scenery along the way.

I should be in Iowa by nightfall!



No comments:

Post a Comment