Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I dip my hat


Lyubomir and I in Portland!


So Lyubomir and I just arrived to the hostel in Seattle, and tonight is the last night of my many trips. Tomorrow I'll be flying back to Chicago for a few days before returning to Detroit to spend a little time reconnecting with family. It's funny, a few years back my wanderlust made me want to explore different countries around the world. I did that a bit, and then I found myself wanting to see the US, which I wouldn't have guessed before. And now, I'm looking forward to returning home to get in touch with my family and to get to know them better. A kind of slow introgression.

Anyways, I'll be posting photos from San Francisco, Portland, and (maybe) Seattle tomorrow when I'm at the airport. However, I want to post one photo at the moment-

During one of our days in San Francisco, Lyu and I went to the ocean. After roaming around for a bit, following gaggles of funny birds, I stopped to look at the ocean, and I realized, this is it, I found my moment of closure. Suddenly a sensation of pride, reckoning, and euphoria came over me, and I walked into the water, dipped my hat in, and threw it over my head, letting the salty water run down my face. I was no longer a part of the scene, rather the scene was now a part of my moment and me. My trip was complete.

The other end of the continent.




1 comment:

  1. We didn't get to meet while you were in SF. I am Sofia's mother. Sounds like you had a very special trip, I am sure with challenges. I can't imagine biking across the country! Yet, it is very poetic and transactional facing the pacific ocean, being at peace and knowing this was the closure to yet another phase in your life. It's moments like those that you experience with such peace of mind. Best regards. Would love to read more about your adventures on that trip.

    ReplyDelete